Sunday, April 3, 2011

My College Application Experience in a Nutshell (a very small one)

Hi! My name is Olive. This blog is dedicated entirely to my college experience.



Let me tell you about myself. I am currently a high school senior. I go to an online high school (OHS) that is based in California and has students from around the world. So this means I attend classes in a virtual classroom, equipped with webcams, text chat, and a white board. OHS has been an amazing experience. It was certainly not the easy route, both academically and socially. Nonetheless, I don't think I could have grown intellectually in the way I did through any other school.

In the video I talk about my college application experience. I'll fill you in on more detail.

Both of my parents went to college, so for as long as I can remember going to college was a given. My parents wanted the best for me, so I heard a lot about the Ivy League growing up. In high school, I was not the most motivated student. I got by with As and Bs, which is good, especially given the rigor of my high school. I was for the most part a solid student who struggled with the work load. I did not have my act together to the extent of some of my peers (one went to MIT a year early). I think I am a late bloomer since things didn't click until senior year.

Back to junior year. First semester was great - I got straight As. Then something happened second semester. I think I was burned out. Unfortunately I got behind in my school work, barely staying afloat and turning in assignments days after the due date. My parents eventually found out, but by then it was too late. My grades slipped, mostly from As to Bs.

Summer before senior year I begin working on college applications. I still wanted to aim for top tier schools. I applied to 10 schools total, mostly very competitive. I did a phenomenal job with my applications. I'm not trying to brag, but I composed fantastic essays and put things together very well, with the support of family and friends. Unfortunately, I was rejected from six schools, waitlisted at one,  and accepted into three (the least competitive of the bunch).

Despite knowing the odds were against me, I was devastated. I went through a crisis. My mind raced back over the past four years. It was agonizing. I wished so badly that I knew then what I know now! But what is done is done. My parents helped me get through all of the rejections. Right now I am focusing on the schools I did get into. Over the next few weeks I will be visiting all schools and will eventually make my choice. I am extremely excited about my future. I want all students who went through a similar experience to know that things happen for a reason. If my grades hadn't dropped junior year, I would not be the student I am today - prepared for college knowing what it takes to work hard.

So please stick around for the ride! The goal of my videos and blog is to provide support and entertainment for those going through or have gone through the college process.

Cheers,
Olive

No comments:

Post a Comment