Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Academic Advising Services

The past couple weeks has been exciting. I'm beginning to receive the specifics of what my life college will be like.

I know who my academic advisor is - he sent numerous emails (though not from his personal address, which I find a bit odd) regarding various topics, such as AP credit, balancing classes, etc. In the email is a hotline number for academic advising services. I called this past week to ask about whether I should take Chemistry 11a or 15a (regular or honors). In the past, I took chemistry two times - once in middle school and once in high school. I also took calculus through AP Calc C. So I felt I'm pretty well-equipped to handle honors chemistry, but I wanted to clarify and also find out if I need to take a placement test.

The person who answered the phone told me to sign up for 11a because that is what most students do. Also, the guidelines for placements tests are confusing. It ends up I don't need to take a placement test. After I was done with the phone call, I decided to email one of the chemistry professors and ask for his opinion. I don't completely trust the advising hotline, because I read that there is a mixture of professors and students who answer calls. My guess is more students than professors. So, the chemistry professor recommended that I sign up for honors chemistry. Also, there are about 30 students in honors, versus 200 in regular chemistry, so that's a nice bonus.

I also found out who is my faculty advisor. I have yet to contact this person, who is in the psychology department, but I should soon.

Finally, I discovered that I made it into my first choice for the Writing Seminar. I will be taking a comedy class!

More to come!

xxOlivexx

No comments:

Post a Comment